For the record, at the beginning of each trimester with my first pregnancy, I'd have a breakdown... looks like I'm on track for that again! But at least I've only got 1 more to go.
I finally weaned Quinn this weekend. Proud to say he was nursed for 15.5 months and we both enjoyed the bond that time together created. So needless to say, I've had a hard time with it this week. I had no intent of tandem nursing a toddler and a new born.. no freaking way! BUT... I'm still feeling a bit lost, none-the-less.
If you know us, you know that Quinn and I had a very very very hard time in those first few days, trying to get our choreography perfected enough for him to breastfeed. Many MANY tears, some pain, a slightly jaundiced baby... We went home reluctant, hopeful and without much confidence that would have been provided by even just ONE successful nursing session in the hospital.. I'm very stubborn, KNEW I was going to make it work and when we got home from the hospital, with the amazing support of Chip, we got it! I'm not sure I would have believed you if you told me then that almost 16 months later would be the first time a part of my body wasn't nutritionally nurturing him. I'm proud and feel successful and am confident we can make it work with our second child too. Not to mention, I'm soooo happy to "retire" my breast pump for this child :)
So, all that said... my hormones are getting the best of me this week. There are a few things at work that are just driving me up the wall and Quinn's being a bit of a challenge with his tantrums this week. After he goes to bed, not only am I feeling lost because I haven't nursed him, but I'm also feeling relieved that it's quiet and that I'm not holding my toddler in time-out, counting to 60 time and time again. "ahhh, 730pm, do you hear that? ____ me neither! :)"
Footnote: I don't want to offend anyone with this breastfeeding post. I'm just proud that I was able to do it this long and am attempting to convince myself to be at peace with my decision to wean.
Congratulations!!! I went to check out my sister's blog to check for any updates...none! However, I saw your comment and decided to check out yours. How exciting!! I love how you did your first blog and that Michelle did one too. I didn't get myself together enough to do a pregnancy blog but I do have one for Ayla now. : ) It is very fun! Looking forward to following your journey. Congrats again!
ReplyDeleteWeaning was a tough thing but you should be proud for all of the hard work you put in for more than a year. Even more bravo for not stopping at 1 year. I envy your dedication as we weaned at 8 months and was the hardest thing to stop providing her that nutrition! But like you said, "Damn you pump!" You've made an amazing difference in Quinn's life mama!
ReplyDelete